Monday, August 28, 2017

3A – My Entrepreneurship Story

My greatest influence in wanting to be an entrepreneur is my father. He is a venture capitalist mainly focusing on tech companies, this means he is constantly investing and working with young companies and entrepreneurs trying to help them succeed. Due to this throughout my entire life I have heard about the start up process, and the risk, reward, and excitement that accompanies it. I have seen how joyful the people who he works with become taking what is just an idea in their head and actually creating something from it. I want to experience this joy of being able to look at a successful company and think I created this.

This summer my desire to work in the start up community grew even greater. I had a wonderful internship at a startup and it was everything I could have wanted. The work was interesting and challenging because we were addressing problems no one had addressed before. The culture was fun because working for a small company meant little to no bureaucracy. Finally and perhaps most importantly the people were driven. When working for a large company often employees dont care they are there for an hourly paycheck. Working for a start-up, most of the employees had options and had made sacrifices for the company. Due to this they actually cared whether the company succeeded or failed. Working with people who care and on something you care about is so much more enjoyable than just grinding away on something you dont care about just to make ends meet.

The reason i am taking this class is because being a computer science major with knowledge about entrepreneurship seems like an ideal combination. The field is growing rapidly with new businesses appearing (and failing) all the time. In  the first assignment for this class we had to list 20 things that bugged us, how many of your bugs could be fixed with a computer? With almost everything in our everyday lives using computers I hope to use the skills I have programming to address the 'bugs' I see in our world.

A picture taken inside the Groundswell Startup Incubator
my father is a partner in.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I like the story you have. You would learn and see great entrepreneurship from your father! My story is same as yours, i can't really say i worked there(cause it was just one day), but i also got great experience in start-ups. I feel the same thing as yours, the difference between large company and start ups. It is really a hard stuff to sacrifice and grind for works but it is challenging and motivating.

    ReplyDelete