Friday, December 1, 2017

27A – Reading Reflection No. 3

Mindset: Carol Dweck
1. What was the general theme or argument of the book?
The general theme of the book is that there are two mindsets. One is that talent in an inherent trait we are born with. The growth mindset on the other hand believes that most basic abilities can be taught through hard work. It tells the reader how having a growth mindset will lead to more success for a person.

2. How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
Having a growth mindset is important for success in general I believe. Therefor it is of course relevant to the class because we wish to be successful entrepreneurs. As an entrepreneur you face hardship and difficulties that you would not face in other situations. You will have to do things you don't know how to and learn.

3. If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
Think about your mindset and which mindset you think you have. Pick something you don't know how to do, it doesn't have to be something super difficult and do it. Talk about you experience learning to do that. That wasn't an inherent talent that was something you just learned to do. And by learning you have grown. Take this and expand it to the rest of your life.

4. What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
Honestly I was not really surprised by this book at any moment. Everything I read I thought this makes sense to me. However here are some cool examples of people who went on to do great things but were not recognized for it early then later became great. Geraldine Page a famous actress was told to quit because she wasn't any good. Darwin and Tolstoy were consider ordinary children.

3 comments:

  1. I might give this book a read it seems really interesting. I agree with everything this book has to say. I believe the mind plays an enormous role in everything we do. A growth mindset applies to everything and will help on the path to success especially as being an entrepreneur. I do agree with both mindsets and I think both can be applied to everyone in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. • Hey! I loved this book. I truly believe life is what you make it. If you focus on positive outcomes and put the work into it, you will go so much farther than someone who is always doubtful. Some people fail before they even start because they are too scared to try! We should never limit ourselves because of self-doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! It was enjoyable to read your assignment. I read the different book, which talks about way of thinking, but this book seems more interesting. I like the comment you put pn question 4, I didn’t really feel shocked on books also. But i wrote that I’m shocked or surprised on assignment. I like your direct and honest thoughts. Great job on your assignment!

    ReplyDelete