Friday, December 1, 2017

28A – Your Exit Strategy

My exit strategy goal would be to have my company be acquired by a larger tech company. I don't have a set amount of time I would want to work on my business before being acquired, as long as it took to build something good enough to get the right offer. This might require building the company completely or just partially. The modern technology giants have so much money that they acquire tons of companies that have "cool" and potentially useful technology. They have even been known to buy entire companies for certain patents and scrap the product. Another thing they have done is to buy companies just to get all the engineers working their.
I couldn't see myself staying at one job for decades. Im an engineer I like to create and build, once you reach a certain point in a company the creating and building are done and its just about running it. I would want to do this for a while but knowing myself I would want to eventually leave and move on to creating something else new.
I think this is a very common exit strategy or hope I suppose for tech companies. I think it has affected my business ideas because it means I have no interest in creating a "small business". A large company isn't going to be willing to pay (hopefully lots of money) for something small. For that to happen requires you to be developing technology that a) you have some protected Intellectual Property that is valuable. I think thats what my company idea really comes down to, the whole using it to VR and AR travel is just an example. The real value would be I believe in the technology required to create these realistic renderings, and having that technology better and/or before others.
Due to this I think that it has affected how I would allocate resources with putting a lot into the engineering behind creating this technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment