Friday, October 27, 2017

19A – Idea Napkin No. 2

1. I am a Computer Science student at the University of Florida, I grew up in Melbourne which has the highest concentration of engineers in the country outside of Silicon Valley. My father was an engineer turned attorney turned venture capitalist. Due to this I have been around tech startups my entire life and have always imagined myself working for one.

2. Historic sites in Europe are in a state of ruin after hundreds or thousands of years of existence. It is often difficult to imagine how the site originally looked all those years ago. Augmented Reality meets this problem by allowing people to actually see how the site looked.

3. I am focusing on augmenting travel rather than just simulating it. This means that I am mostly focusing on upper middle to upper class customers since they have enough money to travel to these sites. I see the main use of my product at historic sites so it would mostly be used by those with some interest in history. An entire customer profile could be found in the previous blog post.

4. Customers will believe this experience is valuable to them because its cool and interesting. No one else is currently offering this experience so we would be the customers only option.

5. As I said in the previous post my core competencies are my technical and programming knowledge. An issue many engineers face is communication problems. I believe I have much better communication skills than the average engineer that puts me at a huge advantage.

I believe all the elements of my idea napkin fit together. The biggest problem I face is the technology behind the Augmented Reality. It would take a lengthy and probably expensive development process to develop it.

The feedback exercises in this class are kind of ridiculous I believe. The feedback you receive and give generally is not very useful I believe and does not help in doing the 2nd version of the project. That being said The first point I took away was I had to be clearer that I want to do Augmented Reality not Virtual Reality. This is a distinction that many people do not understand. The second point  I got was people agreed that making it look realistic enough would be very difficult.

2 comments:

  1. I see that. Your biggest difficulty is developing it quickly and at a manageable price. But with the advancement in technology this offers, although is doable, seems like it'll be very pricey. I just believe it'll be difficult especially that this is mainly for those people that can really afford to travel to these places and such which is a smaller number and you'll need a decent percentage of those numbers to be willing to pay more for the augmented reality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can your advantage on this business. I do really envy your computer science major and abilities, cause that is kind of essential skills in and your passion on travel would definitely work on your business. The ideas you have about this business is also decent, you care about customers experience and think about competencies. Great job on assignment!

    ReplyDelete